If necessary, you can create and assign a VAT rate for each product in your DJ-Catalog2 store. What's more, depending on the country from which your customer comes (meaning the country selected in his user profile), you can display different rates for a given product. And that's what VAT rules and rates are for.
- VAT rule - is the overall abstract rule to which product has been assigned; selection of country-specific VAT rates indirectly assigned to a product.
- VAT rate - is the specific rate that (usually) has been assigned to the specific country.
VAT rates and rules can be created in the DJ-Catalog2 back-end on VAT rates/rules pages.
Let's say you are selling a product that in most EU countries is taxed with a "standard rate." Of course, since this standard rate is usually different in every country, so what you should do is:
- Create VAT rates for your chosen countries, e.g., the UK: 20%, Poland 23%, Germany 19%, etc.
Important: The client type parameter is not supported yet, so please set it to "Any." We are planning to add VIES validation for EU customers, and this way, it will be possible to distinguish retail customers from companies who provide a valid VAT number.
- Create a VAT rule named "Standard rate" and assign all previously created rates to it. The tax rate you need to provide here is the default rate (usually your domestic VAT rate) which will be used in the back-end, for your information only.
- Create a product and select "Standard rate" tax rate.